For most homeowners, home remodeling projects are born out of a need to correct the functionality or aesthetics of an area of the home that truly needs improvement. However, when a remodeling project isn’t a necessity—and serves to add value and luxury to your home, the experience of performing a renovation is a different one.
At Matrix Basement Systems, a luxury project we always love to take on is a basement bar addition. Transforming an unfinished basement into a beautiful area of the home to hang out, relax, unwind, and entertain is one of the most satisfying and enjoyable remodeling projects for homeowners and households of all kinds.
If you’re thinking about upgrading your home in the new year, a basement bar is a great choice. Here are some of our favorite ideas for basement bar transformations in 2020 that are sure to inspire you to start building a better, more beautiful home this year.
Popular Trends for Your Basement Bar
Before we get into the top design ideas out there, let’s cover what a wet bar is when placed in your basement. Ultimately, a new basement bar represents a perfect marriage between a galley kitchen and a classic bar. Of course, you’ll need to find a good contractor to help you design the perfect layout for your bar—with all of the essentials you need to feel like you’ve made a trip to the local watering hole.
The best part about your own basement bar is that it’s yours. You get to decide what design elements you want along with any extras such as a pool table or even a home theater.If you’ve already decided that a basement bar sounds like an incredible idea, let’s look at the top design elements you need to make your new bar the envy of the neighborhood.
- Under Counter Appliances: Think refrigeration units and microwaves. By installing them under the counter you can build a bar that’s functional yet aesthetically pleasing. After all, under the counter means out of sight.
- Simply Classy: One of the most popular design trends of 2020 is a streamlined design that utilizes base cabinets and counter space. Very rarely are wall cabinets used in a basement bar, so consider nixing that feature for a more open layout. However, if you do need the extra storage, adding floating shelves will add a bit of flair while providing the support you need. Stick to dark or neutral colors and simple furniture to maximize this design choice.
- Vivid Patterns and Colors: While the trend for cabinets and counters may be towards neutral, the opposite holds true for flooring and the backsplash. Bars are meant to make a statement and yours should be no different. Feel free to go with bright colors on your walls and floor for a dramatic effect that stands out. We recommend identifying a theme with your color choices. Maybe you’ll like bold and passionate reds or you’ll prefer a more serene green and yellow motif. The color choices are limitless. For bonus points, consider accenting your colors with wood or metal.
- Interesting Countertop: Just because the color of your countertop should be neutral, that doesn’t mean it needs to be boring. One of the most popular trends of the year is to pick materials that are a little different. Instead of marble, quartz, or other standard materials, consider going slightly offbeat with wood, slate, or even concrete countertops. Consider your theme when making a decision though. Wood invokes feelings of comfort and coziness. Metal is modern and edgy while concrete is industrial and perfect for a transitional design. If luxury is your thing, then consider going all the way with a glass countertop for that extra touch you didn’t know you were missing.
- Entertainment: Every bar needs a hook when it comes to entertainment. Are you about showing the latest sports game? Do you prefer games of skill such as pool and darts? Perhaps you love music. Whatever entertainment you like, your basement bar is the perfect opportunity to show that off. Don’t forget to add extra seating to accommodate the entertainment space.
- Kitchen Extension: Another popular design option for 2020 is to build the basement bar as if it was an extension of your main kitchen. This option is perfect for hosting guests and allows everyone to spread out without missing any of the action. Make sure you have the space needed for a full-size refrigerator and oven to really make this option pop.
Bar Design with Matrix Basement Systems
Our team at Matrix Basement Systems is proud to offer spectacular basement remodeling services for our customers. From basement bars to basement kitchens, basement bedrooms and more, we can turn your ugly, drab, and unused basement space into a stunning room that adds value and functionality to your home.
As your one-stop-shop for all things basement remodeling in Illinois, we’re committed to quality—and passionate about our customers and their homes. If you’re ready for a new basement for your home, give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional basement bar design services now—or, fill out our online form to schedule a free, in-home pricing estimate.
Subscribe to Matrix Home Solutions's Blog